Your Course

If you are struggling with your course, you may want to contact your personal tutor, the Writing and Learning Centre, Student Support or the Students’ Union. You can also see the information below on particular issues.

For independent and impartial advice, email our Student Advice Centre on

I have been accused of academic misconduct

I am struggling to complete my work and need mitigating circumstances 

I need help with my academic work. 

I want to complain about my course. 

I want to appeal my results. 

If you want to appeal the decision of an Assessment Board relating to your results, there are a number of things you should think about…

Get advice from the SU

The SU can help you through the whole process so you’re not alone. We can help you work out what grounds you’re appealing on, give you advice on how to draft your appeal letter and form and make sure you’re fully aware of the process and how it works.

You can contact the Students’ Union Advice Centre on or phone 01225 875588.

Do it quickly!

You only have three weeks once you receive your results to submit an appeal. In this, you need to check all the rules and regulations, collect as much evidence as you can and complete an appeals form. 

Get to grips with the rules and regulations

Have a read through the rules and regulations before you start the process:

You must state the grounds for your appeal when you’re filling in your form – so make sure you know exactly what your reasons are and how they fit into the regulations. For example, if you got 59.24% you cannot appeal your mark due to a marginal failure to attain a higher class of degree.

Make sure your statement is clear, concise and refers to the regulations.

The form is the key part of your appeal – it’s worth spending quite a lot of time on it. Make sure it’s thorough, focuses on the strong areas of your argument, but also addresses weaker areas with clarity.

Make sure you’ve got evidence to back up any point you’re making (things like Doctor’s notes and e-mail transcripts). Try to make sure all the evidence is included with your original form but if this is not possible, explain that it will be submitted later and that it’s on its way.

Be realistic about the outcome.

A lot of the time students find it difficult to get their heads around exactly what an appeal is, how it works and the power that the appeals panel has. In most cases, a successful appeal means you can resubmit the assignment, resit the exam or repeat the year. It won’t lead to you getting your grade hiked up.

You will usually have to wait several months for the outcome of your appeal. In the meantime, you can carry on studying as usual. It will initially be looked at by the Chair of Appeals Committee and the Registrar.

They will decide if your appeal fits with the regulations. If they think it does fit into the regulations, it will be given to the Appeals Committee to consider.

You will be invited to go along to the committee meeting. You can bring a friend, family member or Students’ Union staff member along for support.

If the Committee accepts your appeal, it will ask the Chair of the Examination Board to review the original decision.

If you’re unsuccessful, think about your next steps.

You have the right to request a review of the decision and should notify the Secretary to the Appeals Panel within one week of notification of the outcome of the appeal, specifying why you feel that the decision should be reviewed.

If the decision of the Appeals Panel is reviewed and you still think your appeal hasn’t been dealt with in a satisfactory manner, you might be entitled to take an appeal to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education -

For more detailed information on the process please see the Appeals Procedure.


I have been accused of academic misconduct

You can contact the Students’ Union Advice Centre for independent support regarding your accusation on or phone 01225 875588.

For some more information on how you could respond to the accusation please see a template letter here.

The University’s Academic Misconduct Policy can be found here


I am struggling to complete my work and need mitigating circumstances 

To find out more information on Mitigating Circumstances please see the University’s Guidance.


I need help with my academic work. 

You can find out some more information on the Writing and Learning Centre and the help available here


I want to complain about my course. 

If you would like to make a complaint regarding you course you can seek independent guidance from the Students’ Union Advice Centre. You can email

The University’s Complaints Policy can be found here


I have questions about the strikes.

See our latest update on our news page here. For advice or support, please contact the Students' Union Advice Centre at