There is a range of support available to help you take control of your finances and support you if you experience any difficulties. The University’s Student Wellbeing Services (SWS) provides advice on money management, budgeting, Student Finance and welfare benefits. You can contact SWS at firstname.lastname@example.org or 01225 876543.
You can also follow @BSUwellbeing on Twitter for lots of useful tips and information.
Alternatively, for independent and impartial advice, email our Student Advice Centre on email@example.com.
- When you get your loan through don’t get over excited by the amount of money you have. It needs to last all term! Remember to budget for rent and the essentials you may need.
- However, do buy yourself a small treat (a meal out, a pair of shoes, a DVD, etc) on loan day. Future You will thank Present Day You in two months time when you would've been tempted otherwise.
- Don’t be ashamed to buy basics food. Sometimes we all have to substitute the Super Noodles for Sainsbury's Basics. We've all been there, and we all survived.
- Don’t work so many hours at a part time job that it is affecting your studies. While a job can help with both financially and socially, remember you're primarily here to do a degree.
- If you are struggling with cash flow problems, don't suffer in silence. It's better to owe someone fifty quid and be able to eat than to have to starve your way through lectures. Just make sure that if you have to, you're borrowing money from the right people.
I come from a lower income household. Is there any funding for me?
As part of the University's Access Agreement with the government, Bath Spa University can provide bursaries for those eligible. For more information click on the link below.
I'm having a hard time budgeting. What can I do?
University can be the first experience of completely handling your own finances, and that can be difficult to adjust to. There's absolutely no shame in acknowledging that you're having a hard time, and our aim is to provide you with help and advice before you get into financial difficulty.
If you're having any problems, please feel free to book a confidential appointment with SWS by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
I am struggling with money. Is there any extra money I can apply for?
The University Access Fund has been established by Bath Spa University to:
• help students in financial hardship
• help in a financial emergency
• help prevent students from withdrawing
I have run of money. Is there some way I could borrow some?
The Short Term Loan Scheme is designed to assist students who find themselves with a temporary cash flow problem caused by circumstances beyond their control. For more information click here
Students can apply to the Access Fund at any point throughout the academic year and the summer vacation, except final year students who must apply 4 weeks before the end of their course. For more information please click here.
Please note: The University Access Fund is a limited discretionary fund and there is no guarantee an award will be made.